Redefine the possible Meridian DSP Loudspeakers
Introducing our most lifelike loudspeaker so far
Special Edition DSP Digital Active Loudspeakers
25 years ago we built the world’s first digital loudspeaker. In honour of this, we’re launching a new Special Edition series of DSP Digital Active Loudspeakers. Discover, quite simply, the most lifelike-sounding loudspeakers we’ve created.
Following the introduction of our Special Edition DSP Loudspeakers, we're able to offer an upgrade featuring a number of enhancements to give you an even better listening experience.
This unique Special Edition Upgrade delivers:
- New Meridian-designed semi-horn-loaded tweeter with beryllium dome.
- New Wideband Electronics.
- New Firmware incorporating Enhanced Bass Alignment (EBA).
- New complete electronic assemblies with full new warranty applied.
Special edition at a glance
Meridian's DSP approach
Back in the 1980s, Meridian realised the benefits of a totally digital audio signal path. 25 years ago, Meridian applied that knowledge to loudspeakers, creating the first digital loudspeaker, the D600.
Using Digital Signal Processing (DSP), today's Meridian loudspeakers embody all the elements that, in a conventional audio system, are in separate places: crossover, conversion, power amplifiers and the loudspeaker drivers themselves.
Why is DSP important?
Maintaining the audio signal in the digital domain for as long as possible means that it is less prone to degradation. DSP-based crossovers deliver levels of accuracy, precision and performance that are impossible to achieve in the analogue domain. The result is a clearer, more authentic sound.
What's different about the Special Edition?
The DSP8000SE, DSP7200SE and DSP5200SE all feature the following improvements:
- New tweeter with beryllium dome for outstanding response and wide bandwidth.
- Wide bandwidth analogue electronics, to deliver the best sound from high resolution recordings.
- Music is all about timing. Meridian's advanced EBA (Enhanced Bass Alignment) technology ensures that all the frequencies in the music arrive with the correct timing, for a sound that is clearer and more authentic – more 'alive'.
- All drive units clamped with machined rings to provide enhanced stability, resulting in less coloration.
Discover the special edition story
DSP Loudspeakers - The Detail
Digital Signal Processing (DSP) – which we’ve pioneered in the home audio market – provides the best result and the clearest, most authentic sound. These loudspeakers reproduce the sound of the original performance so accurately that they can make you believe the performers are there in the room with you. Explore the features of Meridian's flagship digital loudspeaker, the DSP8000.
The separate head unit, which generates the subtle musical detail, is decoupled from the bass cabinet on three pin assemblies to reduce coloration for lifelike authentic sound.
The soft edges avoid generating unwanted additional high frequency sounds which can blur the imagerendering not only of the performers, but the space they are in.
Each loudspeaker drive unit is powered by its own amplifier and each amplifier is individually controlled by a sophisticated DSP crossover for unmatched performance and perfect system synergy.
The cabinet is hand-fabricated from ‘Meridium’, a high-pressure laminate of birch plywood and aluminium damped with mineral-filled epoxy resin that adds no sound to colour the music.
The bass system has its six powerful drive units arranged in opposing pairs to help cancel cabinet vibration for deep and clear bass.
A conventional passive speaker would have to be eight times the physical volume to provide the same performance as a Meridian DSP Active Loudspeaker.
Every DSP speaker we make offers the same unique advantages:
- A complete audio system in a loudspeaker
- Designed to emulate the human form for greater realism
- Superior, hand-finished construction
- At least one amplifier for every frequency band
- Unique and patented technology (including DSP and EBA)